Monday, May 23, 2005

Newsweek Trashes Stars and Stripes

Occasionally, the compassionate conservative in me boils to the top and takes over. Yesterday I stated the following:

“Well, good for Newsweek. I’ll stop beating them up for now.”

Well look what I get in return!



Newsweek put U.S. flag in trash on foreign cover

‘The cover story in the foreign editions, titled, "Dream on, America," about what Newsweek characterized as "the world's rejection of the American way of life," did not run in the U.S. edition of the magazine.’

That seems pretty absurd considering you can’t walk 100 feet in Tokyo without running into a Mickey Ds.

Never let it be said that I am not willing to admit when I am wrong. This article in the Japanese version of Newsweek was published February 2. However, I did not know of it until last night, after I had published my complementary forgiveness of Newsweek’s libelous characterization of US troops stationed at Gitmo. Why did I not know you ask? Because Newsweek did not have the guts to print such drivel in the United States. It’s one thing to be biased. It’s quite another to slam the United States in a foreign magazine that isn’t printed in English. Such actions can only be described as cowardly.

So consider yesterday an aberration. Maybe I was weak in the knees following my consumption of a particularly hot burrito. Perhaps, for whatever reason, I had begun to fall for the ‘honest mistake’ argument. Normally my RADAR on such things is pretty good. I think I will keep it turned on next time.

MSM continues to adhere to the gag order on comments made by Linda Foley on Friday, May 13, in which she stated:

"It's not just U.S. journalists either, by the way. They target and kill journalists from other countries, particularly Arab countries, at news services like Al Jazeera, for example. They actually target them and blow up their studios, with impunity.”

Perhaps there will be a write-up on it in next Month's Newsweek. I know there isn't much information out there, but hey, at least they won't need any sources.