Sunday, July 31, 2005

Jimmy Carter Excuses Terrorism

For many years I thought of Jimmy Carter as a good man who cared for people, yet was in over his head. I now think he is simply dense. He has assigned blame to Republicans on everything from global warming to terrorism and the failure of peace in the Middle East. It seems he just can’t keep it to himself.



Carter: Iraq War 'Unnecessary'

Former President Carter said Saturday the detention of terror suspects at the Guantanamo Bay Naval base was an embarrassment and had given extremists an excuse to attack the United States.

So it’s back to Gitmo we go. Terrorism as an exciting and fun extracurricular activity got it’s kickoff under the Carter Administration if my memory serves me.

Carter also criticized the U.S.-led war in Iraq as "unnecessary and unjust."

Comments like that probably give extremists ‘an excuse to attack the United States’ as well.

"I think what's going on in Guantanamo Bay and other places is a disgrace to the U.S.A.,"

"I wouldn't say it's the cause of terrorism, but it has given impetus and excuses to potential terrorists to lash out at our country and justify their despicable acts."

How does this man’s mind work? How does he go to sleep thinking, ‘Gitmo is bad’ without also hitting upon ‘I was a weenie of a president that, given the chance to stand up to terrorism, proved to the world over that America is spineless in the face of aggression?’

Let's, for one second, assume Carter is right. He is the last person on the planet that should take up this cause. It's like Nero doing an infomercial on fire safety.

Carter said, however, that terrorist acts could not be justified, and that while Guantanamo "may be an aggravating factor ... it's not the basis of terrorism."

That basis would be the fact that they (the terrorists) want to kill us all. But I suppose that’s minor relative to the horrors of Gitmo.

"What has happened at Guantanamo Bay ... does not represent the will of the American people,"

Neither did sitting around on our hands for a year while a bunch of criminals, one of which may now be the President of Iran, humiliated our country.

"I'm embarrassed about it, I think it's wrong. I think it does give terrorists an unwarranted excuse to use the despicable means to hurt innocent people."

The logic just floors me. Terrorism aimed at the United States got it’s kickoff with the 1979 hostage crisis in Iran. It built for 20 years, culminating in 9/11. If Gitmo is an ‘excuse’ for terrorism, it’s only the latest and is made more convenient by the fact that those such as Carter continually argue the case.

Earlier this month, Carter called for the Guantanamo prison to be shut down, saying reports of abuses there were an embarrassment to the United States.

He also said that the United States needs to make sure no detainees are held incommunicado and that all are told the charges against them.


A federal judge disagrees.

"I thought then, and I think now, that the invasion of Iraq was unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on which it was launched were false," he said Saturday.

Bush Lied! Sing it brother!

"I'm very proud to be in a nation that stands so stalwart against terrorism with us," he said. "The people of my country have united our hearts and sympathy for the tragedy that you have suffered from terrorism."

We could have used Tony Blair back in ’79.

The utter hypocrisy spewing forth from Carter is unbelievable. I honestly don’t know how the man sleeps at night, much less goes public with this garbage. He has absolutely no shame. It is amazing that he’s able to get the words out without choking.

I suppose I owe him one thing. The 1979 takeover of the American Embassy in Tehran was the formative event in my life. You might say that TSW owes its genesis to Jimmy Carter. And he continues to provide material. I would prefer a donation.

In Sports:

Nats 4, marlins 2
Finally!

Braves 5, Pirates 4

.