Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Remember the Cannes Film Festival

I am by no means above rubbing the anti-American Europeans' collective faces in their own absurdities when they have been outed as frauds. I happened to run across this little nugget that I had been saving for a rainy day. I had no idea how handy it would become.

From May 12: The film US TV networks dare not show

Besides the Guardian, this ridiculous film, The Power of Nightmares, was hyped by the BBC and Reuters, among others. This could be the greatest ‘foot in mouth’ since George Custer stated that "There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

The Cannes festival actually requested that the producer/director, Adam Curtis, re-cut his idiotic documentary into a film so that it would be eligible for their anti-American fest. Recognizing that none of the major news outlets are going to highlight their own complicity, TSW will do so.

Adam Curtis has recut his explosive war on terror documentary The Power of Nightmares into a feature film - and is taking it to the festival. But he's no Michael Moore.

True, Moore was lucky enough not to come off as a complete fool two months later. It took an entire election cycle.

"They're suddenly talking about me as an auteur," he says. "I just think I'm a journalist. I do feel a bit like an animal in a zoo that's been put in the wrong cage and they'll find out and all go, 'Oi! that's not a giraffe, it's a vicuna!'" A vicuna, as you will know, is a llama-like ruminant.

How about a rat? I wonder if Curtis still considers himself a ‘journalist’.

…it is nonetheless this year's Fahrenheit 9/11, shaking festival-goers out of their aesthetic reveries with a political analysis of the causes and consequences of the attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

I’m sure Londoners really appreciate that ‘analysis’ now.

"Moore is a political agitprop film-maker. I am not - you'd be hard pushed to tell my politics from watching it. It was an attempt at historical explanation for September 11. You see, up to this point nobody had done a proper history of the ideas and groups that have created our modern world. It's weird that nobody had done before me."

Yeppers, a real revolutionary.

Curtis argues that politicians such as Bush and Blair have stumbled on a new force that can restore their power and authority - the fear of a hidden and organised web of evil from which they can protect their people.

I hope that Curtis has small feet. I bet that extraction from his mouth was quite painful.

For these reasons, one might well think that The Power of Nightmares would provide a usefully chastening corrective to the prevailing orthodoxy if it were shown on US television.

I really wish they would consider airing this nonsense now. How better to highlight the naivety and ignorance of the left.

While a two-and-a-half -hour film version is to be given a prime-time Cannes screening, and while the original three-hour series will be shown tonight on al-Jazeera along with a live interview with the director, US telly has run scared from showing it.

Nice job. I bet the terrorists got a real kick out of the stupidity of western thought.

"Something extraordinary has happened to American TV since September 11," says Curtis. "A head of the leading networks who had better remain nameless said to me that there was no way they could show it. He said, 'Who are you to say this?' and then he added, 'We would get slaughtered if we put this out.'" Surely a relatively enlightened broadcaster like HBO would show it?

Talk about arrogance. If I were that nameless 'head', I would be all over the ‘telly’ now proclaiming how right I was. I doubt there is a position higher than a ‘head’, but if there is, this guy deserves it.

Did the BBC have similar com punction about commissioning the series? "No. And the response from viewers was overwhelmingly positive. Ninety-four per cent of the emails were in favour."

I demand a recount! The Brits should really take a look at the disservice that the BBC is doing them, especially since they are forced to fund it.

...though Curtis worries that it will as a result become marginalised to art houses...

...and ‘rubbish’ bins or, rather, trashcans to you and me.

Curtis argues that there is a huge appetite for a serious critical analysis of the post-9/11 geopolitical world in the US.

He’s right about that. We just can’t seem to find any. Of course, the only news peddlers to highlight Curtis’ idiocy since the London bombings are those evil right wing conspirators at Foxnews:

The BBC Stoops to Crackpot Level

From the rest, the silence is deafening.

In Sports:
Nats 3, Braves 4
7th Straight loss in one run games.
.