Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Shark Attack #1

Hide the women and children, the sharks attacks are back! I've think I'll start documenting these stupid shark stories. Consider this Shark Attack #1.

Shark attacks research diver

Two summers ago, when there were no Karl Rove scandals to be found, shark attacks took over the MSM. It turned out that, after the numbers where in, shark attacks were at about the same level they had always been. The media created a story out of thin air. I have noticed a few of these this summer and they irritate me to no end. I think I will begin documenting them.

Here is a some good background to kick this off with:

ISAF 2003 Worldwide Shark Attack Summary

The site talks of the rise in shark attacks, and then goes on to make the exact opposite point.

The yearly total of 55 unprovoked attacks was lower than the 63 unprovoked attacks recorded in the year 2002, 68 recorded in 2001, and 79 reported in 2000. Despite the recent declines, the number of unprovoked shark attacks has grown at a steady rate over the past century. Overall, the 1990's had the highest attack total (514) of any decade, and the 2000-2003 totals continue that upward trend.

If you happen to run across any of these stories that are current, please let me know. I will be on vacation next week. I'll report any shark sightings as soon as I get back.
.