Friday, April 15, 2005

Criminals Should Renounce Citizenship

I was encouraged to read that my tax dollars are doing something useful.

10,000 Fugitives Rounded Up in U.S. Dragnet

‘"Fugitives belong behind bars, and the arrests of 10,340 fugitives translates into safer communities," said Ben Reyna, director of the U.S. Marshals Service.’

What an accomplishment. We really put the screws to the criminals.

And then I read the following:

Authorities free 1 million aliens amid proceedings

‘He said of those people, 465,000 are fugitive aliens who have been ordered deported. About 80,000 of those are criminal aliens who have committed an offense in addition to immigration violations, but he couldn't provide an exact number.’

OK, for you mathematically challenged people, 80,000 – 10,340 = 69660 . That is a net loss of 70k (give or take a few hundred) criminals from the criminal justice system. So if you are a criminal, it’s better to renounce your citizenship as the authorities are likely to let you off the hook. Think I’m joking? Check this out.

Traffic stop yields 12 illegal aliens, authorities say

"The 11 passengers were processed and released. There were children involved, so it was better that we released them," said ICE spokeswoman Ernestine Fobbs. All are expected back at ICE offices on Thursday for a "final review of what will happen."

What this article does not tell you is that the driver, of course, had no license, the van was overloaded and the kids didn’t have child safety seats. It only mentions the illegal U-turn. Now, had I done that, I would probably spend a night in jail, lose my license, and pay multiple fines and penalties.

All are expected back at ICE offices on Thursday for a "final review of what will happen."

Well guess what…they didn’t show. Find me anyone that takes immigration problems seriously, won’t gut the armed forces and won’t jack my taxes through the roof and I’ll be the first one in line to vote for her/him.