Thursday, November 03, 2005

Congress Saves Wives

A bit of good news comes out of Congress for once. Kelo is getting beat back.

House Votes To Block Land Seizure

Contending that the Supreme Court has undermined a pillar of American society, the sanctity of the home, the House overwhelmingly approved a bill Thursday to block the court-approved seizure of private property for use by developers.

The bill, passed 376-38, would withhold federal money from state and local governments that use powers of eminent domain to force businesses and homeowners to give up their property for commercial uses.

Just so you know, 36 of the 38 nays were Democrats. One of those was Nancy Pelosi.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling in June, recognized the power of local governments to seize property needed for private development projects that generate tax revenue.

The House bill would cut off for two years all federal economic development funds to states and localities that use economic development as a rationale for property seizures. It also would bar the federal government from using eminent domain powers for economic development.

But here is what I’m really worried about. If they can take your house, how long before they can take your wife!

House With a Bride (No pun intended. That’s actually the name of this site)

Finally I decided to give my best effort towards something whereby that special man could “find me”. eBay offered an opportunity for a “non-binding” transaction, which provides a means to advertise my house (and myself), with neither party being obligated to complete the transaction.

You might be wondering why I have my listing at $600,000.00 plus myself for bid as “priceless”. First, I estimate the value of the house with furnishings at approximately $600,000.00. When I asked my girlfriends their advice on what I (the “bride”) was worth, most responded that I was “priceless”.

OK, but if your house comes with the wife, what’s to stop local municipalities from taking them both?

.