Monday, May 30, 2005

Time to Wake Up to China Threat

Well it’s about time:

Lawmakers focus on rise of China

'A group of U.S. lawmakers banded together on Friday to focus congressional attention on how China's rise affects the United States in areas ranging from energy demand to trade to military spending.'

'Randy Forbes, a Virginia Republican, said he and eight members of the House of Representatives started the bipartisan Congressional China Caucus to ensure that Americans become aware of China's emergence as an economic, political and military power.'

Emphasis on the military part please. The other two we can deal with.

'"The public still hasn't gotten the full picture of what's going on with China because we're so overwhelmed with Iraq and Iran and North Korea," Forbes said in a telephone interview.'

I couldn’t agree more. Not to mention China’s own role in the North Korean problem.

'"I really don't see this country having developed the plans to deal with China like I know China has developed the plans to deal with us," he said.'

Pin that up on the wall and frame it please.

'Fellow caucus member Ike Skelton, a Missouri Democrat, called Taiwan Strait separating China and Taiwan "the most dangerous place on Earth."'

Well, not yet, but it could be. In any case, I’m happy to have a Democrat aboard. We had better wake up and take notice. Iraq is small potatoes. If we don’t have the stomach to deal with what is a relatively minor conflict, how are we going to respond when China makes its move? Don’t fool yourself. It is coming.

Update 6:04 pm: Due to the fact that 'Other' was winning and my own errors, (I should learn to just say Condi) I have revamped the poll. I hope that covers the spectrum. This one could be fun. My apologies to those who had already voted.

In Sports:
Nats 3, Braves 2
I can't watch these two teams play each other.