Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Two Faces of Joe Wilson

Joe Wilson’s comments this morning on the Today Show prove he is nothing more than a political hack. If I were Wilson, I would have kept my mouth shut.

CIA employee's husband exhorts Bush to oust Rove

If I had claimed that Dick Cheney approved my trip, knowing full well that it was a blatant lie, I would stay as far away from TV cameras as possible.

Former ambassador Joseph Wilson called Thursday on President Bush to fire deputy chief of staff Karl Rove, saying Bush's top-level aide engaged in an "abuse of power" by discussing Wilson's wife's job with a reporter.


Had I attacked the President of the United States by lying in a federally funded report using false assertions and bogus facts to affect a presidential election, I would be keeping a very low profile.

Wilson decried what he called a White House "stonewall" in the wake of revelations that Rove, a longtime Bush confidant, was involved in the leak to the news media that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, was a CIA officer.

Had I used my wife’s position to further my cause, risking her job and my own credibility, grandstanding would be the last thing on my mind. I would be aware that those nasty right wing bloggers would pounce all over me for lying in a major publication, as well as to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Wilson, in an interview broadcast Thursday on NBC's Today show, said he thinks the White House's posture in this controversy represents a continuing "cover-up of the web of lies that underpin the justification for going to war in Iraq."

If I knew that my own lies had been exposed in the public record, I don’t think I could keep a straight face while making such an assertion.

"My wife's name is Mrs. Joseph Wilson," he replied. "It is Mrs. Valerie Wilson. He named her. He identified her," Wilson said. "So that argument doesn't stand the smell test ... What I do know is that Mr. Rove is talking to the press and he is saying things like my wife is fair game. That's an outrage. That's an abuse of power."

And if I knew that I had exposed my wife in my own Biography, well before her name appeared in any news publication, my own sense of smell would tell me to lie (no pun intended) as low as possible.

"I think the president should call in his senior advisers and say, 'Enough is enough, I want you to step forward and cooperate,' " he said.

If I was aware that everyone involved, other than Judy Miller, was fully cooperating with the special prosecutor in the case, and that all of the relevant facts, including my own slanderous actions were about to flare up throughout the press again, I don’t think I could continue the facade.

That is, unless I intended to write a book and make a fortune off of the affair. Then again, that’s just me.

Note: I just saw an MSNBC interview with Wilson that was one of the most pathetic displays of MSM promoted garbage that I have ever seen. He was not asked one question of substance. Question number one should have been, 'Why did you lie in your report on the Niger/Iraq Uranium connection?' Of course, they never got close to that. I knew Chris Matthews was a liberal partisan, but I didn't realize the network had no grounding in news. I should learn to stick to CSPAN.

In Sports:
Nats 2, Brewers 4
The slide continues.

Braves 3, Mets 6
But the Braves can't capitalize.

.